How to hand wash dishes
Hand washing dishes is a pretty simple task. Some tips and tricks on how to hand wash dishes, will make this dull household chore something to look forward to.
I choose to make hand washing dishes fun, by picking out a fun apron and listening to my favorite podcasts. This way I actually look forward to hand washing my dishes. Pick your favorite music, audiobook, podcast or whatever, and get your hands wet.
I had a dishwasher for 12 years. When we built our cottage house that we live in now, there was no room for a dishwasher. So, it was back to a task I always did my best to avoid. It took me a while to get into a good routine for hand washing the dishes.
The reality is, my dishes are cleaner than the dishwasher ever cleaned them, and I save on electricity and on water usage. It's a win win all around.
Unscented Liquid Soap Refill as dish soap insures the only thing you taste in this mug is the hot drink.
Liquid Soap Refill is a zero waste package dish soap. Save your old dish soap bottle and fill it with good natural dish soap
Lather has a function. It picks up dirt, grime, grease, punctures and kills unwanted germs, unlike many dishwashing liquids. Good Castile soap will also keep hand soft so hand washing dishes can be a zen time instead of a chore.
Follow these simple steps
You will need a sponge, a drying rack, a sink full of dirty dishes, a dish towel and zero waste Liquid Soap Refill. Click here for the diluting instructions.
Hand washing dishes instructions
- Soak your dirty dishes in plain water. I put water in every dish I put in the sink, so some soak for a few hours, while some soak for a few minutes. Stack the dirty dishes in size order, with the largest on the bottom of the stack. Soak the utensils in a cup, pot or bowl filled with water.
- After your liquid soap refill is diluted, wet your sponge and squeeze out about 1/2 of excess water. Squirt a generous amount (about 1/2 baking measured teaspoon) of liquid soap onto your sponge. Gently squeeze the sponge to activate the soap and water, but not too rough to squeeze out the soapy water.
- Wash each dish with the soapy sponge, and set aside until your whole load of dishes is washed. If you need a little more soap and water, turn on your faucet, wet the sponge and turn off the water, squirt some more soap onto the wet sponge, squeeze to activate the soap and water and finish soaping up the dishes.
- To save time, wash the dishes in size order, starting with the largest dishes which will be on the bottom of the stack. This way as you rinse, you place the the smallest in the dish rack first. This size order method saves time and saves water, which also saves energy usage.
- Rinse the dishes and place them in the dish rack, in size order to maximize the drying rack space and the dry time.
- Air dry the dishes in the rack, by letting them sit there. Go do something else and come back a few hours later to put them away.
Fermented vegetables in sparkling clean canning jars. It's very pretty to see in the kitchen
Sudsy coffee cup and soft hands go together when you use good natural dish soap
Soap up your dishes and then rinse them all at the same time, taking care to arrange them in the drying rack so they stack well and have ample air space in between.
What is Castile Soap
Using the Liquid Soap Refill could be a learning curve for many hand dish washers, who are looking to switch from dish washing liquids and detergents to natural dish soap.
The Liquid Soap Refill is a Castile style soap. "Castile soap" means a few specific things about soap.
- Castile soap originated in the Castilian region of Spain
- Castile soap is traditionally made from olive oil.
- Castile soap is made from any vegetable oil.
- Castile soap is a thin, naturally saponified, lye soap that is not thickened.
- Castile soap is transparent.
- Real plant oil Castile soap is free from synthetic oils, such as: Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate (ethoxylated) and Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Olefin Sulfonate (a pure petrochemical), Sodium Myreth Sulfate.
When I say the Liquid Soap Refill is a Castile style soap, I mean it is made using the same soap making process, except we use coconut oil. It is a thin, transparent soap. It is not thickened, easy to dilute, and very sudsy.
How to use Castile style soap to wash dishes
Wet your sponge. Squeeze out about 1/2 of the excess water. Squirt about 1 teaspoon liquid soap onto your sponge. Wash dishes.
Good dish soap is versatile
Good dish soap makes and excellent fruit and vegetable wash
Good dish soap works well to clean small appliances
Clean canning jars are a must. Good dish soap will insure that jam or jelly tastes just like the fruit you canned minus that dish washing detergent toxic flavor.
Good dish soap is versatile and can be used for a bunch of household cleaning jobs. Liquid Soap Refill is great as a vegetable wash, window cleaner and surface cleaner like making sure your kitchen counters are wiped down before kneading bread or rolling out a pie crust.
Moisturize, hydrate, and nourish your lips with wonderfully luxurious
LiXTiK Beeswax Lip Balms.
Leave your lips moist and smooth for many hours. Soothes severely chapped lips.
|Choose from 8 LiXTiK Beeswax flavors/scents. Ingredients: Organic coconut and sunflower oils, premium beeswax, 100% pure essential oils