Apple Ginger Chutney is spicy, sweet, flavor and nutrition packed chutney is easy to make. My recipe made 8 1/2 pints that I canned. You can scale it down by dividing the recipe by 4 to make about 1 quart. If you're like me and need to put it on everything, you'll eat it in a week or less.
Baking dish - That is a 9 x 9 pyrex baking pan
5-6 quart stock pot or larger
Stick blender, food processor, blender, bean masher. Whatever gets the job done.
Ingredients: I like everything to be organic. All these measurements are approximate.
18-20 Roma tomatoes or the equivalent. If you look closely, there are a few orange cherry tomatoes sprinkled in the baking dish, too. About 1-2 pints of raw tomatoes. These are from my garden.
approximately 1/2 lb raw fresh organic ginger from your favorite farmer. Mine is from Muddy Fingers Farm at the Ithaca Farmers Market
a peck of apples - about 6-8 lbs if you're buying them bagged in a store. Something like 20-30 medium sized apples
one large onion
white pepper to taste - about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon
ground coriander - about 2 tablespoons
ground cinnamon - about 2 tablespoons
ground cloves - about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon
salt to taste
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar from your favorite apple farmer
Optional - 1/4 cup hot pepper oil - I make mine using olive oil and discarded roasted hot pepper skins and seeds. You can also use the whole peppers. Or add fresh hot peppers. If you don't have hot pepper oil on hand, substitute ground hot pepper to taste and 1/4 cup olive oil, or sesame oil, or coconut oil - whatever oil you like to eat and or have on hand.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Remove the seeds from the larger tomatoes. I don't do this with the cherry tomatoes. But the cherry tomatoes add a very sweet yummy tomato flavor. If you have chickens, they will LOVE your discarded tomato seeds.
2. Roast the tomatoes in a dry baking dish, until the skins are wrinkly and very slightly brown. Cool and remove the skins. Also gives these to your chicks.
3. While the tomatoes are roasting, peel the ginger and chop it. Chop the onion.
4. Place the roasted tomatoes, chopped ginger and onion into your stock pot. Puree this with the stick blender, or whatever tool you have.
5. Peel and core the apples and cut into quarters. Cut each quarter into quarters. These are rather large pieces that will turn into bitesized chunks as the chutney cooks. Put the apples into the stock pout with the puree.
6. Fill the pot with water about 2/3rds the way up the apples. Bring to a boil.
7. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. As the apples cook, stir every 15-20 minutes.
If you are canning this, get your jars ready. Click here for more detail on canning.
I really enjoy fresh ginger, so I'm freezing the rest of my stash (I bought 6 pounds!!) to enjoy it until next year's harvest, if it lasts that long. This method is from my friend and foodie cohort, Lori. Thanks, Lori!
Wash and peel.
Grate either by hand with a cheese grater or in a food processor.
Place parchment paper on a baking pan that will fit in your freezer.
Spread grated ginger on the pan about 1/4" thick
Score into 1/4-1/2" squares
Cover with another piece of parchment and press down
Put the pan inside a plastic bag and place in your freezer over night.
Break up the frozen squares, store in a container or plastic bag and put back in the freezer.
Use each square when you need to add ginger to anything and everything, including a cup of tea.
Moisturize, hydrate, and nourish your lips with wonderfully luxurious
Leave your lips moist and smooth for many hours. Soothes severely chapped lips.
Choose from 8 LiXTiK Beeswax flavors/scents. Ingredients: Organic coconut and sunflower oils, premium beeswax, 100% pure essential oils
Your coupon code will be in the subscription confirmation e mail. The coupon is valid with any purchase.
Get industry news, sales, & specials, before everyone else when you subscribe below
How much soap money does a shower cost you?
Let's say you spend $6.00 on a bar of soap and it lasts for 7 days of showers. That's $.84 per shower.
For your next bar of soap, you spend $8.50. That seems like a lot of money, except it lasts for 8 weeks or 56 showers. That's $.15 cents per shower. F.Y.I.: One bar lasts me and Andy 6 weeks of daily showers - 84 showers.
Good soap is cost effective. More
Eat, shop, small, local.
36 Main Street
Livingston Manor, NY 12758
traveling? check our locations page